The Sisters of St Joseph are affectionately known as the Josephites or the ‘Brown Joeys’ (as earlier they wore brown habits). There are about 850 Sisters living and ministering throughout Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Peru, East Timor, Scotland and Brazil.
The Josephites were founded in Penola, South Australia in 1866 by an Australian woman Mary MacKillop, and an English priest Reverend Julian E Tenison Woods.
To find out more about the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart visit their website.
On Sunday 26th July, 1936, Archbishop Duhig blessed and placed in position the foundation stone of St. Joachim’s Church School, Holland Park. The school was finally established by the Sisters of St Joseph in 1938, and is now situated in the Holland Park Mt Gravatt Catholic Parish.
The school was named after St Joachim, husband of St Anne. They are the Patron Saints of Marriage and Grandparents. The tradition of the Church is that Joachim and Anne were the parents of Mary and thus, the grandparents of Jesus. St Joachim and St Anne exemplified faithful commitment and trust in God. On our Feast Day, the grandparents of our students are also celebrated as we acknowledge that the love of Christ can be experienced through the love of families, especially loving parents and grandparents.
While the Sisters of St Joseph are no longer present in our school, the spirit of St Mary of the Cross MacKillop continues to motivate us in all that we do at St Joachim’s. We reflect the diversity of the Josephite charism to serve God’s mission in the world through prayer and by social justice action. We respond to the needs of our society with a purpose that is underpinned by our school motto, Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam – ‘For the Greater Glory of God’.